Translate

Monday 27 October 2014

2013 Lens v Auxerre

2013-14 Season
August – Lens v Auxerre
The moment the fixtures were published in May, the visit of Auxerre was pencilled in as a possible trip over to France. The only problem was whether it was going to be on the Friday, Saturday or Monday?
For the first time I decided to choose the coach to go over because:
1: it was cheaper (£60 return to Lille was better than a minimum of £130 Eurostar and train from Newcastle).
2: for the sum of only £5 you could change your travel plans: essential if you want to avoid paying for hotel or campsite for four nights. Once I knew it was on the Saturday I then changed my return date to 23:45 on the Saturday night.
Newcastle town centre: 23:00
My journey began 22:30 on the Thursday night – while my two daughters set off to their bedrooms to sleep, I was on my way to Newcastle coach station proudly sporting red and yellow striped Lens shirt and camping equipment stuffed into my enormous rucksack with Lens scarf tightly tied on.
A few quizzical glances at my shirt – which was certainly not a Newcastle one – were all that I attracted as both the Metro and Newcastle Centre were eerily quiet. Standing at the rain-soaked bus station, only the drag act, wearing only a sparkly bikini and brightly coloured head-dress of feathers, entering The Powerhouse nightclub managed to raise any eyebrows.
My journey down was uneventful as I tried to get as much sleep as possible and we arrived into London at 6am on the Friday morning. Victoria coach station was crammed full of bodies heading to all parts of the country and Europe. Passengers for Paris, Amsterdam and Seville battled with those for Wolverhampton, Glasgow and the strangely titled destination – England in a day - for seats or standing space and tempers were frayed and there certainly weren’t any quarters given as every inch of space for yourself and your luggage had to be fought for.  One fight loomed between a bulky Midlander and an old man (who had desperately pushed past a young girl to get to his delayed bus) but the old man managed to nimbly escape with only an ear bashing…
”Come near me again and….”
It wasn’t even his daughter who had been pushed.
Thankfully the bus to Lille boarded at 8am and once the “England in a Day” bus had cleared out of our way we were off to the Euroshuttle and eventually France.  After arriving at Lille it was a short, and very familiar, trip to Lille Flandres then onto Albert where I was camping that night and enjoying a fantastic example of French home cooking at the house of my friend Thierry and his family. Another Lens fan, Mac came too and it was he who picked me up at 7:40 the following morning ready to get the train to Lens: the first of many acts of kindness from him, and many others that weekend. When the station looked closed at that unusually strange time on a Saturday morning he showed me where to get in and how to get my ticket on the antique ticket machine that relied on a spinning handle rather than a touch screen. Finally he came onto the platform with me. His familiar greeting to old ladies and young lads alike was another sign of the community that amazes me every time I visit the region and is certainly a breath of fresh air.
Having an hour to wait for the connecting train to Lens, I decided to get some breakfast in Arras (in addition to the squashed pain chocolat and banana I had found at the bottom of my bag). Five figures on the other side of the road seemed to be acting suspiciously, pushing one of their number in my direction and when he was spun around, the others exposed his Auxerre shirt.
Sensing a photo opportunity, I charged after them, shouting in French “Wait!”
“Non, Non!” they replied as they ran off, sensing a fight. However, with a burst of speed, I caught them up and showed them that I wanted nothing more than a photo, although that wasn’t what I told the Lens Red Tigers when I met them later.
Any trip to Lens wouldn’t be complete without a raid on Emotion Foot and this was no exception. It is the one shop where I feel like a kid in a sweet shop, wanting everything I could see. The smell and feel of new shirts, training kits and equipment was everywhere although I was disappointed to see a rack devoted to other Adidas team kits: Spain, Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid kits were surely not worthy of this hallowed ground (ok, Spain wore the same colours), yet in these desperate times for the club, any chance to make money could be turned down. Thankfully and rightfully Marseille were denied any space. That would have been the ultimate insult!
With a new retro 70s style training shirt and mini kit for the car purchased I headed for my first meeting point at La Loco to meet Loulou who was to give me a lift to the Lens-Paris cfa game that started after the Auxerre game. I loved the relaxed atmosphere at La Loco…food in one half and drink in the other. Loulou and his family sat with the other tigers, his son bouncing off each of them and although there was the occasional shout at any passing Auxerre fans, there was no fighting, no aggression, just one big family enjoying the afternoon sun and my chance to get my Fricadelle Americain: just don’t ask what’s in it!
 Mac took me to my next stop: Chez Muriel’s to pick up my ticket for the game from Denis. Altogether a different pub: more sedate in some ways and mostly filled with a mix of young and older men. Once again Mac knew everybody there, as he continued to look after me.
Did they know Denis?
Heads shook, smiles disappeared and faces looked quizzically at me.
Friends with Pascal….?
Ah! Pascal! Denis! Smiles returned and Mac explained I was an English Lens fan. Heads were nodded approvingly. I was accepted, once again, by these complete strangers.
Denis finally arrived and with the match looming, I joined the red and yellow streams of fans converging on the Stade Bollaert-Delesis, there was a buzz that I hadn’t felt around the ground since the ligue 1 years: the buzz of expectation.
The game started well for Lens with the team, sporting the new shirts that looked like Miss World sashes, passing and moving well. There was barely time to settle when there was a Lens handball followed by an Auxerre free kick that fizzed into the net via the far post. I hadn’t seen Lens win since October 2010 so naturally I started to prepare myself for another disappointing result: after all the sun was shining and I was amongst good people: the best! Yet still the Marek sang and still I joined in, the months between each match well spent learning as many songs as I could. The supporters were still there and every Lens attack was greeted with yet more noise as they roared them on.
Then Touzghar was on the edge of the penalty box, spun and blasted a great shot past the keeper. The Marek went wild! Not soon after the stripy-headed Ljuboja chipped to the far past for the Argentinian Chavarria to head gleefully into the net for the lead before accepting the applause from on top of an advertising hoarding…more joy in the sun! I needed this lead to last though, and it was the Serb journeyman Ljuboja who broadened the smile on my face when he managed to spin on the touchline to knock the ball in. For the first time since Maoulida’s triple in April 2010 I had seen Lens score three goals. There was no chance now I would witness my favourite score of 2-2! In the second half it was up to Chavarria to jink his way past a couple of challenges to score the fourth goal and my smile couldn’t be wiped away. Areole, on loan from Paris, kept the visitors at bay as the celebrations began in earnest. I had witnessed my first victory in three years!
The traditional reunion between the Marek and the players was followed by the march of the band out of the stadium to round off my visit and as the fans streamed out I stood and savoured the moment, knowing I would not be experiencing it for a good few months. It was also something I had waited three years to experience once again as well as my first win in the Marek.
Chez Muriel - no doubt where their allegiances lie!
Yet my visit wasn’t finished yet. It was back to Chez Muriel to return Pascal’s ticket to Denis before a quick trip to La Loco where my lift to the reserve game was waiting. The friends I had made from the Worldnet tournament in Preston a month earlier all put in an appearance, with wives and girlfriends in tow and I once again was amazed by the welcome each one gave me. In so many ways it was another humbling experience.
The reserve game against Paris was an anti-climax in some ways but a more chilled affair, as I’d become accustomed to. The first team players as usual sat on the terraces at the far end, each one welcoming supporters like friends and more than willing to have photos taken and give autographs. I preferred to sit and watch the match that Paris dominated after a bright start from the Lens reserves. A hard-working Pierre Ducasse featured, who actually seemed bothered that he was stuck in the reserves when he should have been basking in the glory that the first team players had experienced that afternoon. A lively Ducasse pushed and prodded the others forward and there was no way that Lens deserved to be 2-0 down at half time.
Once decamped to Avion and were thoroughly enjoying the chance to goad the Paris players, especially the ones who were warming up by the side of the pitch…it was a shame I didn’t have a clue what they were saying although they certainly managed to wind them up and when Paris were reduced to ten men and Lens scored to make the score 2-1 the substitutes chose to warm up away from the Tigers’ taunts. As the final whistle blew, the over celebration of the Paris team showed how close they had come to giving away their win. There was even a bit of fun with a Paris flag waving at the end that seemed to annoy the locals but the relaxed evening’s entertainment had been worth all the effort.
Before my ride back to Lille with another Tiger, Vianney there was time for a gift from one of the Tigers which would see me through the winter in the North East of England. Before getting into his car he advised me to change my Lens shirt if I was to be wandering around Lille and it was at that point that I realised that nearly every piece of clothing I wore betrayed my allegiance to Les Sang et Or: right down to my yellow laces on my red trainers. The best I could do was swelter in my red cagoule as I stepped onto the pavement in Lille. Bidding farewell for the last time to another Lens friend who had put himself out to help me, I felt a great sense of belonging as well as the humility everybody had shown. Every thank you from me was met by a simple…”De Rien”, “Pas probleme”.
Everybody from Pascal who gave me his ticket to Thierry and his family who welcomed into their home to Mac who organised me, to Denis who waited for me and also missed the first Lens goal because he was waiting for someone else to arrive to Loulou and his family who combined taxi driving and bag minding to Vianney who had to suffer the reserve game so that he could take me back to Lille. Each of them had contributed to such a fantastic weekend although I might not take up my friend who said I could come fighting next time…a bit too old for that, perhaps.
After wandering around Lille searching for a pizza I eventually found a takeaway that was showing the Ligue 1 matches on multi-screen. I chuckled as Lille conceded another goal at Reims as did Valenciennes at Bastia. Valencienne’s anger at the prospect of Lens sharing their stadium, while Stade Bollaert was being redeveloped ready for the Euros 2016, had soured relations between the two teams so I felt they deserved to be treated the same as Lille.
I kept the owner of the take away informed of the scores and he seemed disappointed that both Lille and Valenciennes had lost. When I consoled him with the thought that Lens had won …his only response was “but they’re in Ligue 2.”
For the moment, I thought as I waited on the Leeds Boulevard for the 23 45 Eurolines bus that would start my journey back to Newcastle and my family who would be waiting for me at the bus station.
 I would be home in Newcastle at 15:30 the following day: my birthday. I couldn’t have asked for a better birthday present.



No comments:

Post a Comment